October is Also Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
October is a month where we many different events and causes are observed. Do you take this as an opportunity to educate yourself about these October 'things?'
For instance, many are aware that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. It is also Squirrel Awareness Month, Caffeine Addiction Recovery Month, Financial Planning Month and German-American Heritage Month. Although in my realm it is 'Adopt A Shelter Dog Month.' It could be because I live less than a mile away from one of the largest pet shelters in the Hudson Valley, or because I hear the dogs barking on the weekend right before their breakfast time?
For me October really is marked by Halloween, the trees giving up their leaves for their long winter nap, and encouraging people to learn about the shelters in their area. Yes, of course if you have the space, the time, patience and the love to welcome a rescue dog into your home, then do it. But dogs are work. Pets are work.
If you have the time and you want to donate time, old towels or sheets, blankets, bleach or even office supplies, most shelters in the are would appreciate it, especially the ones that are short on monetary donations and long on animals needing homes.
Here are a few places in the Hudson Valley that you could adopt a dog during the month of October or any month of the year:
- Hudson Valley Animal Rescue and Sanctuary, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603,
- My Hope's In You Small Animal Rescue, Inc. Poughkeepsie NY 12603,
- Perfect Pet's Rescue, Hudson Valley
- Crate Escape Rescue, Wappingers Falls, NY
- Pet Rescue NY, Larchmont, NY
- Dutchess County SPCA, Hyde Park NY
- Ulster County SPCA, Kingston NY
- Hudson Valley SPCA, Middletown NY
- Middletown Humane Society, Middletown NY
- Animal Rescue Foundation (ARF) Beacon, NY
Do you have a positive story about adopting a pet at one of the above shelters? Let us know.