Healthy Recipe: Shaved Cauliflower and Fennel Salad, That’s Light & Crisp
Today marks the first official week of 2021 which means new beginnings, intentions, mindsets, and habits. If one of your goals is to feel healthier, you have come to the right place to find clean, light, meals that will fill you up and make you satisfied.
Today's recipe of the day is a sweet and sour shaved cauliflower and fennel salad that has the perfect combination of acid, sweetness, and savory flavors with fresh lemon, fruits, salty pistachios, natural maple syrup, and bitter yet crips fennel. Cauliflower and fennel pair well together because the taste of the white veggie is mild, and fennel has a subtle licorice flavor that adds a tangy, crisp touch to the salad. If you love citrus, this recipe calls for the optional toppings of fresh fruit like water-thin pear slices, pomegranate seeds, and sliced oranges.
This healthy, light, and clean salad will only take you about 15 minutes to make, and if you food prep your meals for the week, slice the entire head of cauliflower and fennel roots and pack them in the fridge to eat the next day. Enjoy this salad for lunch or as a delicious side dish to compliment your dinner entree.
Want to stay on top of your health goals in 2021? Sign up for The Beet's 28 Day Plant-Based Plan and you will get over 40 delicious recipes, motivational tips, workouts, cooking demos, a live session with a nutritionist, and a 77-page e-book so you can find your meals all in one place.
Recipe Developer: Natalie Penney, @natalie.naturally
Message from the recipe developer: "Very simple light and fresh, this lovely on its own or with the addition fruits. Perfect as a side salad, light starter or compliment to a bigger meal. Roasted or grilled green vegetables such as tender stem broccoli, asparagus, or courgettes are also lovely served along side."
Sweet and Sour Shaved Cauliflower Salad
Serves 2-4 people
- ½ head of cauliflower shaved with a mandolin or very thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb shaved
- ½ cup sultanas
- Juice 1 lemon
- ½ cup roughly chopped pistachio nuts
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp light olive oil
- Leaves from the cauliflower removed
- Optional fruits- Wafer-thin pear slices, Pomegranate seeds, sliced oranges
- In a large bowl add the shaved fennel and cauliflower. I use a mandolin to thinly slice them, breaking them into florets first. For the fennel remove the woody ends before shaving but be sure to reserve the sprogs.
- Add the fennel sprogs, sultanas, and nuts to the bowl along with the juice of a lemon and stir to combine. Finally add rice syrup, olive oil, and a little salt and pepper and stir again.
- Allow to sit and for the flavors to mingle.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, line a baking tray, and add the reserved cauliflower leaves, rub a little oil onto the leaves and sprinkle with salt. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the leaves are just starting to crisp and slightly char.
- Serve in small bowls or plate with the crispy leaves on top, or in the center of the table as a side salad or compliment.